The Funds of the IPL Opening Ceremony Will Now Be Given To the Families of Pulwama Attack

As soon as the Indian Cricket Board (BCCI) has announced the program for the first phase of the upcoming edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL), Cricket fans from around the world are waiting for the first match. The first match between Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) has already raised the excitement because this match pits two of the biggest cricketers Virat Kohli and MS Dhoni against each other.

But, amid this storm of Pulwama terror attack, the upcoming IPL season has been denied the star-studded opening ceremony, which was used to kickstart the Indian cash-rich T20 tournament earlier.

The Committee of Administrators (CoA), which was constituted by the Supreme Court to run Indian cricket and headed by Vinod Rai, has decided to start the match without celebrating the opening ceremony to pay tribute to the CRPF jawans who lost their lives in the brutal Naval Pulwama terror attack on February 14.

Background of this canceled ceremony

A CRPF convoy was attacked by a suicide bomber in Pulwama area of Jammu and Kashmir, in which more than 40 personnel were killed, while many others were injured. This incident shocked the whole country, as well as the cricket community, was also shocked.

As a mark of respect for the CRPF men, martyrs of the Pulwama terror attack, the Committee of Administrators (COA) had on Friday announced no opening ceremony will become for the Indian Premier League (IPL).

Decide to donate Ceremony’s funds to CRPF Martyrs

The cash-rich T20 league opening ceremony is a major blend of glitches and glamor, with performances by Bollywood stars.

With an intuitive feel, the COA has also announced that the budget allocated for the Glitzy opening ceremony will now be donated to the families of the martyrs of the Pulwama attack.

The COA chairman said we will not have any inaugural function for the IPL and the money budgeted for that goes to the martyrs families.

The Pulwama attack took place last week and its iterations are being felt in the sports field as well. Pakistan has been called for ending sports relation and also told about the proposed boycott of Pakistan in the ICC World Cup 2019 in England and Wales.

However, Indian will play a match against Pakistan for 16th June as per World 2019 schedule, the COA discussed this matter but have not taken any stand for this now.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *